Swapping Number Plates

Alex Shirley replied on 07/05/2024 21:43

Posted on 07/05/2024 21:43

Does anyone know a sensible (and tested) way to swap between number plates on a caravan, without having to keep gluing the plates on with sticky pads and then peel them off again? Sometimes I tow with my car and sometimes with my partner's car, so I have to change the plates over from time to time.

Halfords sell a "number plate frame" which I suppose I could stick to the caravan to allow me to swap the plates more easily. Has anyone used something like that? The back of the frame is mostly holes, so I'm not sure how well I could stick it to the caravan and I do not want to screw it on.

PJMEG replied on 07/05/2024 22:29

Posted on 07/05/2024 22:29

Hi,

Have you thought about using magnets, you could sikoflex them to your van and to the number plates then swap at your leisure. 

Then if you swap the van at anytime you can just clean off the sikoflex and leave no holes.

richardandros replied on 08/05/2024 05:54

Posted on 08/05/2024 05:54

Our van has one of those frames - attached by dealer  - showing their web address by way of advertising. It's stainless steel and looks quite smart.  As far as I can see, there aren't any screws holding it in place, so assume it is fixed with Sikaflex. The front is hinged and just pulls down allowing a number plate to be slotted behind it then it just clips back. They use it to put their own plate on if they come to collect my van for service etc.

TimboC replied on 08/05/2024 17:04

Posted on 08/05/2024 17:04

I use long cables ties, one each end, and thread them through the gap between the pads. Just be careful not to obscure the number

mickysf replied on 08/05/2024 20:07

Posted on 08/05/2024 20:07

I travelled behind a Ford Transit towing a caravan on Monday with no numberplate on the caravan at all. A totally illegible cardboard sheet was slightly evident in the rear window. How do they get away with it?

LLM replied on 08/05/2024 20:31

Posted on 07/05/2024 21:43 by Alex Shirley

Does anyone know a sensible (and tested) way to swap between number plates on a caravan, without having to keep gluing the plates on with sticky pads and then peel them off again? Sometimes I tow with my car and sometimes with my partner's car, so I have to change the plates over from time to time.

Halfords sell a "number plate frame" which I suppose I could stick to the caravan to allow me to swap the plates more easily. Has anyone used something like that? The back of the frame is mostly holes, so I'm not sure how well I could stick it to the caravan and I do not want to screw it on.

Posted on 08/05/2024 20:31

Just search "trailer number plate holders".  Simples 😉.

One such item is here.

Navigateur replied on 09/05/2024 18:10

Posted on 09/05/2024 18:10

I recall some years ago a dealer in Land Rovers and ex-military vehicles in the north of England had a large trailer that was regularily towed by three different vehicles. Their simple solution was to display all three number plates on the rear of the trailer.

VILLAN replied on 11/05/2024 09:14

Posted on 11/05/2024 09:14

i had a similar situation several years ago but solved the problem using flexible magnetic rubber sheeting. It is only magnetic on one side , the reverse side being coated with an adhesive. The material is only 1.0 mm/1.5mm thick and is easily cut using good scissors or a stanley knife.

I cut a piece to the same dimensions as the number plate and stuck it to my trailer using the adhesive. On the adhesive side of a second I stuck the registration number of the towing vehicle.

Placing the two magnetic faces together the number plate was easily positioned and firmily held in place.

Signmakers tend to use this material to provide signs for taxi companies and small businesses to attach to their vehicles to advise their products. The signs can be easily removed if the vehicles are needed  for private/personal use and replaced at a later date.

i would suggest that you contact a local signmaker who shoud be able  to offer more advice  (and possibly a demonstration). They may even be prepared to supply the material for you to make your own numberplates.

Best of luck.   

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook