Truma Combi E CP Failure

JohnM20 replied on 05/05/2024 07:54

Posted on 05/05/2024 07:54

Whilst away last week the 230v heating side of our Truma Combi E failed. Thankfully we could still use gas without a problem. On return home I spoke with my usual service engineer who, whilst he couldn't get over to see me talked me through what to check. It turns out it is one of the fuses on the unit that had blown. This fuse is not immediately easy to check as it has to have the main (screwed on) panel removed. The obvious question was why had it blown? Was it a power surge or a failure of the electronic system further down the line. The suggestion was that it may be the anti surge resistor on the PCB adjacent to fuse or worse still, the heating elements. I'm hoping it is not the latter as I had them replaced at a massive cost three years ago and they have only been used for 140 days since then. 

Although they are a 'special' fuse they are readily available which suggests failure of just the fuse is fairly common. What surprised me is the wide range of prices for the fuse, from less than £1.00 to Truma's £25.00+  for a fuse. For the technical ones amongst you it is a T10AH fuse according to my Truma trained engineer. If replacing the fuse doesn't sort the problem, I'll have to think again.

The question is, has anyone had to have their PCB changed (the lower one of the 2 where the 230v is connected). If so, how much was it? As an alternative to replacing the PCB I'm go see if the anti surge resistor can be replaced. I know a good electronics guy at Burton upon Trent.

I'd be interested to read comments from anyone.

DavidKlyne replied on 05/05/2024 09:38

Posted on 05/05/2024 09:38

We had the PCB go on our Truma Combi within the first year so in a way we were lucky as it was replaced under warranty. You may want to investigate companies that repair these boards as I think a new one will be quite expensive? Seemingly new ones are anywhere between £2/300.

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook