Motorhome seating capacity

tonker replied on 05/05/2024 17:52

Posted on 05/05/2024 17:52

I have a Ford Herald Motorhome and it has 2 seat belts for the front passengers but it is a 4 berth motorhome.

The seats in the back are side facing and do not have seat belts. 

Am I legally allowed to carry passengers in the van in the UK in the lounge area without seatbelts? 

Anyone know if it is legal in France to carry passengers in the back without seatbelts? 

regards

Pete

Tinwheeler replied on 05/05/2024 18:44

Posted on 05/05/2024 18:44

The law regarding this is a minefield and I’ll not risk giving an answer.

Irrespective of the law, do you really want to carry your nearest and dearest in unbelted seats in the rear of a relatively flimsy MH?

LLM replied on 05/05/2024 20:18

Posted on 05/05/2024 20:18

Here is the 1993 legislation and you will find a government document that lays it out simply Here.  It is worth remembering that whether or not seat belts are fitted the driver has a duty of care to his passengers.  

The laws across Europe all vary but will be generally similar.  

DavidKlyne replied on 05/05/2024 20:42

Posted on 05/05/2024 20:42

I don't think it really matters what the law is but surely it can't be sensible to carry passengers in any vehicle that can't wear proper seat belts.  There was something in the news recently about people  travelling in a motorhome without seat belts when a mother and two children died in a crash https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-68515437 In my view its not something you should ever consider.

David

tonker replied on 06/05/2024 09:13

Posted on 06/05/2024 09:13

Agree with all that on the safety issues. It was more to transport an 18 year old a short distance.

The Ford Herald is certainly not a flimsy motorhome. At 2.5T of a good quality build, it will outlast alot of newer motorhomes and have less problems even 25 years older than its newer versions.

Thanks so far though.

Tinwheeler replied on 06/05/2024 10:23

Posted on 06/05/2024 10:23

2.5t is light for a MH but it is the construction of the habitation area that made me describe it as relatively flimsy, not the weight of the van. Have you never seen pictures of MHs that have been in crashes? The hab area tends to be smashed beyond recognition.

It matters not how old the passenger is or the distance travelled as he/she will become a flying missile in the event of a crash if not in a belted seat. See the link posted by DK and also check the links posted by LLM re the legalities.

Still, you must make up your own mind but do get the opinion of your insurance company as to the cover provided.

LLM replied on 06/05/2024 12:12

Posted on 06/05/2024 12:12

If going abroad it would also be worth taking advice from your travel insurance provider, they may decline to cover anyone who is not strapped in.  

tonker replied on 06/05/2024 15:59

Posted on 06/05/2024 15:59

Good point on insurance.

Thankfully not seen a motorhome crash or caravan but I am surprised I haven't given the speed some of the people drive at.

I am a steady 55mph with the caravan and a 60mph with the motorhome.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook