Clarinetman signing off

clarinetman replied on 07/05/2024 10:28

Posted on 07/05/2024 10:28

Hi all been contributing under my “handle” for 20+ years, my name has been used as, you will be surprised I play the clarinet and have done for over 60 years. I been fortunate to play up and down the country in pubs and clubs, on cruise ships, elderly people’s home and local schools over the years now due to being 75 yrs and hands getting more painful as time goes by I only play slow pace blues, ballads etc.

Playing has kept me dementia free and mind active as well as having something to do and hopefully contribute a little to other less fortunate people.

So why sign off well yesterday for the first time in all these years a fellow member has objected to my playing for 30 mins as has been my daily practice at around 3.30/ 4.30 pm this time people who have gone out are not back yet and if I am playing at a local pub open mic that night, then it provides a warm up preparation.

no one in all this time has ever objected on the contrary they mostly come and ask who is playing and how they enjoyed it, and can I play Stranger on the Shore which I always obliged. No one where we are at the moment are pitche next to us as the photos show once this one person at the back of us.

It upset me and more importantly my wife who was sat outside reading her book and took the brunt of his request to at least close all the windows as it was already 28 degrees and very sunny not really an option.

So as I say I have packed my 1959 boosey and hawks 8-10 series clarinet away and wish my fellow member a quiet holiday, to all the many people over the years thankyou for your kind comments.

regards

clarinetman

Freddy55 replied on 07/05/2024 11:01

Posted on 07/05/2024 11:01

Don’t get me wrong, I can as miserable as the next person (🙂) , but I’d be delighted to hear you play, free live music, what’s not to like. Sadly, there are some mean spirited people out there.

ADP1963 replied on 07/05/2024 11:19

Posted on 07/05/2024 11:19

What a miserable s** I bet they are a joy to live with yell. Clarinetman you keep playing there are more happy people out there than miserable ones I am sure....................Good Luck

DavidKlyne replied on 07/05/2024 14:55

Posted on 07/05/2024 14:55

You only have to read the site reviews on a regular basis to work out that some people have an exceptionally low threshold to sound of any sort! Listening to Stranger on the Shore would be absolute bliss compared the the grass being cut near your pitch. 

David

Navigateur replied on 07/05/2024 17:08

Posted on 07/05/2024 17:08

Maybe not even a member, as the Club now lets all and sundry onto our sites. If there is natural justice your complainer will spend all future trips pitched next to the yapping dogs and the late night disco revelers.

clarinetman replied on 07/05/2024 18:45

Posted on 07/05/2024 15:10 by JillwithaJay

I'm so sorry that you and your wife have been upset by one person's attitude but I hope Club Together members haven't upset you so why sign off?

Posted on 07/05/2024 18:45

Hi thankyou for your comment, with respect to why sign off I will create a new handle to continue using this great site I hope to continue for many years to come both being a member and musician. Regards

hitchglitch replied on 07/05/2024 19:16

Posted on 07/05/2024 19:16

Sounds like the same noise intolerant Brit we were next to in France at a small (but not particularly quiet) site. First he came over and complained about our aircon unit which was brand new super quiet, then, I was practicing guitar for an hour or so and he came over again “clearly you are a talented musician (not true!) but you have been playing for a long time”. They left before us. They obviously thought that 16 Euros a day was far too much even with free entertainment.

eurortraveller replied on 07/05/2024 20:09

Posted on 07/05/2024 20:09

One of our daughters brought a new boy friend to see us one evening on a UK caravan site. I won’t say where or which, but he looked round and said  ”This really is the land of the living dead” . We never saw him again. 

Wherenext replied on 07/05/2024 20:44

Posted on 07/05/2024 20:44

We were once regaled on a site in France by a rendition of "I do like to be beside the seaside" on an Accordion. It was played in honour of ourselves being British, talking French to him, being in the cheap 4amp section (which seemed to matter to him) and never complaining when he had a half hour on the said Accordion every afternoon.

Truth be told it wouldn't get anywhere near our favourite instrument but it seemed so French that we honestly didn't mind. Anyway we would rather have changed site than upset him.

Unfortunately Clarinetman the world does seem more intolerant.

Carry on playing.

DavidKlyne replied on 07/05/2024 21:24

Posted on 07/05/2024 18:45 by clarinetman

Hi thankyou for your comment, with respect to why sign off I will create a new handle to continue using this great site I hope to continue for many years to come both being a member and musician. Regards

Posted on 07/05/2024 21:24

You are still going to continue to play(maybe not on campsites)  and enjoy your clarinet so why change your user name? Having mentioned this occurrence on the forum perhaps you will be head hunted by the Club's band?

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook